Holy Smokes.
Tomorrow I am officially 20 weeks pregnant. Which means I'm 50% done-zo.
Which also means a 20 week ultrasound. Which means we'll find out a bit more about this baby's identity. Specifically the gender part of the identity. Yes. So stinkin' exciting!
Also, so stinkin' mind-blowing. I mean, it's not like the concept of birth is new to me. But I've never had the opportunity to closely observe a pregnancy before. And now that I'm experiencing it myself, I can't stop thinking about how INSANE it is! I mean, how miraculous the whole process is... How my body and the baby's body just automatically know exactly what to do. And how, at the end of it all, one minute you're pregnant, and then next - bam! There's a brand new human being right before your eyes. A new personality, a new name, a new member of the world's population, new talents and new quirks and new facial expressions for the world to experience. A new family. Just like that. Pretty cool how a bajillion people have been born and will continue to be born, but the miracle of birth never gets old. What a creative Creator we have, eh?
I went to see a friend of mine last night who just had a little girl. Such tiny perfection. I made this onesie for her:
Definitely kickstarted my antsy-ness to figure out what we're having so I can start making this kinda stuff for my own little offspring.
As the weeks fly by, I find myself doing a lot of self-analyzing. Thinking about how I'm not quite the person I always pictured myself as when I would reach motherhood. I thought I'd be more organized. I thought I'd be done with school. I thought I'd be the kind of grown-up lady who always had her nails painted. I pictured myself with longer hair. I thought I'd be a more experienced baker. I thought I'd probably live in a place that had room for a crib... Ha. There are several more serious things I've thought of as well. And it's good for me, because although a lot of those things don't matter at all, some of them do matter a whole lot. Like organization, and being more on top of my musical talents so that I will be prepared to teach and share with my kids, and getting involved in the community and being more service-oriented, and improving my spiritual health and my relationship with God. All of the things that I want to do anyway, but that are now especially relevant since I have someone to teach all of these things to. It's a happy challenge, indeed. I'm quite looking forward to it.


Oh, sweet friend. I couldn't be more excited for you, and I think the fact that you don't feel like that woman yet means you are probably closer than you think. ;) Can't wait to be an auntie. Love you!!
ReplyDelete