bg

Friday, January 27, 2012

beginnings and bucks

Seriously, this blog stuff is kind of exhausting when you have no idea what you're doing. I'll have to give a lot more credit to the people I know with super cute blogs. You kids have got some smarts, indeed. Or perhaps you all have personal blog tutors. Probably. There, that makes me feel better. 


And how about my lack of cute fonts? All in good time, Kellyn, all in good time. {I'm good at self pep talks, at least. Don't need no tutor for that!}

Anyway.. So, a large part of why I decided to start blogging at this particular time is simply because I can. And before I could not. You see, the husband and I achieved the impossible last year. We went for over 12 months without the use of internet in our apartment. And yes, indeed, the both of us were enrolled in school within that time frame. I know. I must say that I'm pretty proud of it. No internet, no television, an apartment smaller than most peoples' living rooms, all hand-me-down furniture and... no toaster. And that, my friends, is how you pay off debt. 

Yeah okay, we're not actually done paying it off. But holy smokes, we sure did save a lot. I think the happiest moment of my dad's parenthood was shortly after I got married and he heard me say, "We can't afford it." And honestly, I haven't had a problem with it -- have enjoyed it, even. The only reason I've purchased any new clothes over the past year is because of my short stint as a Buckle employee, and the temptation of a 40% discount was more than I could bear. I've been to the mall twice since I quit. And no purchases were made. Life lessons in frugality are pretty great. I highly recommend them. I think everyone is up for saving a buck when a buck can be saved, so I'm definitely open to great saving tips. (Seriously. Please share.) And I'll share with you our highly technical marker board budget technique. 

Oh, and not only do I have an internet connection these days... I have a toaster! (Christmas gift from hubby.)
Hope we aren't going too crazy... Life is feeling pretty luxurious.

3 comments:

  1. Pick up FREE couches and then SELL them on craigslist. Boom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay kell!!! I'm so happy you have joined the blogging world!!! Its such a good way to record everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. brokeassgourmet.com -- she's a genius. You will love her $15 shopping trip for the week and her $50 pantry. And I love you.

    ReplyDelete