bg

Monday, August 26, 2013

Careful

Some lovely family friends were visiting from out of town over the weekend, which means my baby was stolen away from me during sacrament meeting at church on Sunday. (Because people mostly just love me for my baby now. But I'm totally okay with it.) And THAT means that I actually listened pretty darn carefully to the messages that were shared. One woman shared a quote that is sticking with me today. 

"Be as careful about the books you read as the friends you choose."
("Back in the day when we actually read books", she said. Funny.)

This totally applies to everything though! Every way in which I could possibly spend my time. Books can be leisurely or scholarly or spiritual, just like pretty much anything else. 
Am I choosing books (or stuff I read on my computer, or things I watch on tv) that are purposeful? That teach me productive things and make me a better person, like a good friend would? Is there actual direction in the way I'm spending my days? (Definitely room for improvement, was my answer to myself.)

Careful is such a good word. 

We usually think of being careful when we're backing up a car, or holding a newborn, or putting away mom's best china. But today I thought about being careful with my life. Being careful with my blessings, my talents, my loved ones, my time. 

I know that I do NOT feel awesome when others aren't careful with me. With my stuff or with my feelings or with my time. And it would be sad to see something special that I've given to someone else be handled without care.

So, since God gave me every single thing I have, I want to be more mindful. More careful

Careful in my choice between reading a book to my son, or choosing to read the "book" where I hope he stays busy with the cardboard box in the corner while I sit on the couch and eat cookie butter out of the jar while watching some moody teen drama on Netflix. 

Careful in my choice between studying my scriptures, or reading my Facebook newsfeed.

Careful in my choices between things that are productive and positive in building myself as a person, and things that are not. Why is that so much harder than it should be? Even writing this down it's like "DUH". Make good choices, Kellyn! Hm. I must be human or something. 

Good thing I've got people at church who give good talks and keep me thinking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment